Monday, July 10, 2006

Don't Step On A Bee Day, Clerihew Day, Teddy Bear Picnic Day, July 10th


Don't Step On A Bee Day

Please don't step on a bee. You really don't want to. It really hurts. and especially today, it might hurt more... apparently. Not much more to say on that matter. Except that I got stung by a bee on my last birthday, and I have to say it wasn't my favorite present.

Clerihew Day

First created by Edmund Clerihew Bentley, a clerihew is "a humorous, pseudo-biographical verse of four lines of uneven length, with the rhyming scheme AABB, and the first line containing the name of the subject." (Wordsmith.org)

The first clerihew ever written was this:

Sir Humphry Davy
Detested gravy.
He lived in the odium
Of having discovered Sodium.
-- Edmund Clerihew Bentley

I might try to write my own later, but now, it's time for bed, and I am not thinking cleverly.

Teddy Bear Picnic Day

I love the Teddy Bear Picnic song. I especially love the Jerry Garcia version, and the fact that he did a childrens book with the song.

Last year I discovered that my dad had never heard Jerry sing about the teddy bears picnicing. So, on our whirlwind tour of the national parks in Wyoming and Montana, and we must not forgetDinosaur, we listened to The Teddy Bear Picnic over and over again, until he believed it was Jerry Garcia. (I also made him listen to four different versions of the Rainbow Connection and and Somewhere Over the Rainbow sung by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole... to improve his education.) It made up for the horrid book on tape that we were also listening to.

Anyway, while you all are out and about on your teddy bear picnics, remember to try not to step on a bee.

No comments: