Saturday, November 4, 2006

Sadie Hawkins Day


Sadie Hawkins Day

Some people say that Sadie Hawkins Day is the first Saturday in November. Other people say it is the first Saturday in November after November 9th. I don't really much care, because it is a holiday that I will never celebrate. I will never win a foot race, and I don't think that winning a foot race is an appropriate reason for your father to marry you off, even if you are still single and thirty-five years old.

So today, I started off in a bad mood because it might be Sadie Hawkins Day. Then, I got in a worse mood because I found out that I wasn't invited to a wedding reception that I didn't even want to go to. Not because I was ignored by not being invited, but because other people would think that I was being rude by not going. Logically, I wasn't invited because the bride didn't know my address. I'm very okay with that... and I really don't want to go. So, it shouldn't bug me so much what the other guests are going to think. I know, I know, I'm being neurotic.

So, to take my mind off of the reception that I am not invited to, I went to get my mail, and the mailman put a note in my mailbox saying that I had a present at the office. Yeah! Birthday presents! When I got to the office, they said they didn't have a present for me, that the note must have been mis-addressed. Stupid mailman. Making me excited for no reason!

I think that I have a sinus infection. That can be the only logical reason why I am so grumpy today.

Why did I even get up today?

Ah-ha! It must have been for this gem on Theric's blog, which makes me want egg nog with extra nutmeg (because there can never be too much nutmeg) and decorate for Christmas, and listen to Christmas music even though he killed Santa. And for Lemony Snicket's discourse on unrequited love in The Beatrice Letters:

"I will love you no matter what is served in the world's cafeterias... I will love you if the trees fall in the forest without anyone around to hear them... I will love you as the pesto loves the fettuccine and as the tempura loves the ikura... I will love you as a dagger loves a certain person's back and as a certain person loves to wear daggerproof tunics... as a drawer loves a secret compartment, and as a secret compartment loves a secret, and as a secret loves to make a person gasp...
Oh, how I love Lemony! Thank you Edgy for a Birthday present that the mailman did not mis-address.

2 comments:

Christian said...

You're most welcome. I hope you enjoyed it.

And I hope that now you feel inspired to finish The End.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

I'm reading them in unison.